Welcome to the first Marketing Monday forum post--Warning, this post is loaded with information. Grab a cup a tea and enjoy!
Bells, Boughs and Gift Baskets..... in October? YES!
It’s time. As Holiday season approaches life becomes busy. Family and community obligations and increased retail activity in our Poppy Swap stores means the pace will pick up. Let’s start preparing now!
5 Essential Tips to rock this season right:
- Build your inventory. You need products to fill those holiday orders.
- Create holiday products. Stocking stuffers, gift cards, and gift baskets are good. Budget conscious people are already shopping for the Holiday’s. I know, I know, it’s blazing hot here in Colorado so the idea of winter/spiced/holiday teas really seems like a lifetime away but I’ve already had a customer contact me about stocking stuffers! Realize the demand will be even greater in a few months. Be prepared!
- Adjust your listings. Make your business ‘Holiday friendly’. Busy shoppers need it to be easy and they love a hook, such as “free gift card included”, “a perfect gift for that hard to buy for person”, “express shipping available”, and so on.
- Make it pretty! New to selling online? Go out on the internet and see how other people are doing it to get your own creative juices flowing. Come back and see how is your Poppy Swap store looking. Are your photos representative of your products? Can the viewer feel, smell, and experience your product through the photo? What about your product descriptions? Are they understandable to the ‘non-herbie’ shopper? Did you ever ask Santa for something anti-spasmodic, bitter, and carminative? Grannie needs to know that your herbal tea will help soothe her belly after Christmas dinner not how to increase peristalsis.
- Communicate! If you are planning on blogging, emailing, or using social media, Start Now! It takes time to build readership and followers if you haven’t done so already. And if you do have a strong following, start mentioning the Holiday’s now and sharing what you offer with your network. You want to be jingling your Poppy Swap specials in their ear when they start shopping!
Widgets, tools, and other cool things!
Poppy Swap has some great tools available to its Swappers that will assist with your Holiday marketing efforts and beyond.
Poppy Swap widget: upload the free Poppy Swap widget to your Facebook fan page, website, and blog to allow shoppers quick and easy access to your store. Ask your friends if they will use your Poppy Swap store widget on their blog and website. The more the merrier!
Personalized URL. Use it! Each store on Poppy Swap has a personalized URL that links directly to your store. Be sure to include this on all of your marketing materials (i.e. business cards, blog, Facebook page, Twitter feeds, LinkedIn accounts and more).
Don’t be shy! You also want to be poppying up on the Poppy Swap forum and Facebook page to engage fellow swappers and customers. It’s a great way to connect with fellow swappers and potential customers.
4 More Essentials if you want to your customers to count you as a blessing--and come back next year!
- Custom/gift wrapping. Again, MAKE IT EASY! People love convenience. (If you offer this, consider creating a separate listing for this service. People can to add to their sale so that you don’t lose money on this service.)
- Notecard: Offer to include a personalize notecard with their purchase.
- Express shipping. If you intend to offer express shipping, be sure to offer rates and timing. Last minute shoppers LOVE the option of express shipping!
- Cut-off dates. As the Holiday approaches be clear with Holiday ordering and shipping cut-off dates. Be sure this is communicated clearly throughout your store. It will keep you sane and your customers happy.
1 Essential thing you may not know:
- Promotions: You can now offer discounts in your Poppy Swap store!! To assist with bringing more traffic to your Poppy Swap store you might want to consider offering limited free shipping, 10% or 15% off on selected items, running a promotion on your gift packs, shipping and more!
Savvy Swapper Example
Check out this rockin’ swapper, Wild Rose Herbals. Wild Rose Herbals does it right with savvy product descriptions, clear, crisp photos, and plenty of products within the inventory for lots of buying options.. Go Wild Rose Herbals!
Some dates to remember:
November 24: Thanksgiving
November 25: Black Friday (Sales)
November 28: Cyber Monday (Sales)
December 20-28: Hanukkah
December 25: Christmas
December 26: Boxing Day (Sales)
December 26 – January 1: Kwanzaa
December 31: New Year’s Eve
Got some tried and true Holiday marketing tips to share with your fellow swappers? Let's hear it! Post your comments and feedback here. We'd LOVE to hear from you!
About the author:: Feeling overwhelmed and aren’t sure where to start? Would you like just a little bit of support to expand your herbal and business efforts? Kristie Nackord, fellow swapper and the ‘herb girl’ behind Spirit Horse Herbals, is also an independent marketing consultant available to support you with your business. For more information click here!f