Be Content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you. -Lao Tzu
It goes without saying; we are herbalists because we love to support people from the ‘inside out’. But how does that same commitment and practice translate into marketing and promoting a business? Is it even possible to promote your own business from the ‘inside out’?
Today, let’s explore what marketing is for YOU, from the inside out. We are going to help you build a healthy “marketing mindset” by discussing common negative beliefs and how they affect your business and thus, your life. There are some common mental obstacles and negative beliefs that might be getting in your way. Here are the "mindset solutions" that will effect how you think about marketing your business:
1. Marketing is not bragging. The first time we do it, we all feel a little weird about designing a marketing campaign. We wonder what is the purpose of what we are doing and saying? Who is really listening anyway!? Are we being self-centered talking about ourselves and our products? Listen, it doesn’t matter what the topic is, there is nothing more enjoyable or powerful than connecting with someone who is in their passion. And let’s face it, what you’re sharing as an herbalist with your community is empowering, life-changing and good for the planet. What got you started is a love and passion for the herbs and their medicine. What is there to feel weird about? You’re helping to shift the world! That is both powerful and positive!
2. Marketing is not about being fake. Conscious and awake marketing is simply sharing things that are genuinely good and being sincere! What you are sharing is the best of what you have found for you in your own life and what you know about living with nature. You are also sharing the gift of your own creativity. Remember, there is no pressure to be fake because you think its what other people are expecting. You have to get comfortable as a creator and teacher and be ready to be at the center of the stage. Your message will reach out and contribute to the community. All you have to do is be YOU (only a little bit louder ;)!
BE and do what you Love. If you love to write newsletters about herbs, DO THAT! If it pains you to sit at the computer and you would rather harvest herbs, DO THAT! If you force yourself to do something that doesn’t feel good or in alignment, your work will feel like a chore and never bring the quality of life to you that you dream of.
3. Marketing is not manipulative. Its true that a lot of traditional marketing is based on generating an emotional response in consumers that makes them spend. Messages are pumped into consumers to make them feel that they are some how “out of the loop” or lacking. Marketing plans that are born from that intention create panic responses that are designed to get people to shop. And unfortunately, more and more unnecessary products continue to be produced to keep feeding those imaginary needs. There is something unethical about that kind of behavior and few herbalists are interested in producing something or misrepresenting their products just to make a sale. Conscious and awake marketing knows that there is no room for separation or gaps between our belief systems and our business practices. There’s no room for dishonesty in life! But really, any dishonesty is just a symptom of the true disease: FEAR. And fear can happen in your business when you believe you are always behind and missing opportunities. So, in your ideal life, what would be your response to fear? Developing confidence, having a positive attitude and working within a community of support are all part the solution, right? Those virtues develop as the result of the choices we make a long the way and the habits we focus on. Examine what you truly want to see as your results. How can you introduce some good mental habits into your life that will achieve those goals? How do those habits look in your herbal business? Releasing fear requires having some faith in the Universe and in yourself! I’ve found that its a day-to-day practice of removing doubt, healing old fear based habits and staying focused on who I truly am. And I’m happy to report that it works! The more fear I clear, the more room I make within for Joy and Abundance. Take yourself and your business seriously. You will radiate from the effect it has on your life. What better marketing message is there to put out to your customers?
4. Marketing does not promote competition: Destructive competitiveness is one of those mental habits that we were talking about when we were discussing fear. Competition is just another painful symptom that arises when we are focused on scarcity. Complementarity on the other hand is something we can create as our habit just as easily! What we are proving with Poppy Swap is that herbalists can walk hand-in-hand. We each offer something beautiful and unique and we have all seen the results that it has provided. The more we work within community, the more joy and opportunity opens to us. Remember, when you are making your creativity and heart-work your business, it needs to be satisfying your true heart. Working together with other creative people will take the work out of your work! Having fun and helping others will be just the nourishment your heart will need to stay on the path. If you operate from a place where there is plenty of room for everyone, guess what....there will be room for you too!
Here are some critical tips to bring more awareness and empowerment to your marketing and business endeavors~
-Ask for help: remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question. “Raise your hand!” In the Poppy Swap forum, reach out to your local business and herbal community. People LOVE to help. We aren’t meant to do this alone and no one expects you to know it all already.
-Be GOOD to yourself: Many have been taught that they must stay ‘on’ 24-hours a day, 7-days a week to be ‘successful’. We say: FALSE! Following your own innate flow, practicing radical self-care and self-kindness is the most IMPORTANT gift you can give yourself and thus this earth. Take time away. Be good to yourself. Be sure to offer yourself breaks to reboot, balance and stay connected to the flow of Creativity that burst through this business.
-Do it right the first time! Pay attention to details. Or, as they say, ‘patience pays’. Give yourself all the ‘time’ and ‘space’ you need to birth your dreams. Don’t rush your work or skip important steps expecting to go back and do it later. There is no better time later.....and you’ll be busy later too!! It pays to lay a strong foundation for your success. Be mindful of the investment in your equipment and materials as well as your location and space. Whatever you buy now you want to be using for a long time. Quality counts. And the plants (and your customers!) will appreciate that!
- Share. Here is where we as herbalists can excel! Because remember, everything you are doing came from the Earth first and was GIVEN to you! Be generous in your business offerings. Continue to be service oriented. It’s a natural and forthcoming motion that is inherent within each of us. Being generous and kind is easy. And it always comes full circle.
Listen to your heart. What you hear is YOUR marketing message~ There is no mystery to crafting your unique and powerful message. Simply listen to the truth of your heart, remember your original inspiration for what got you started to begin with and share from this beautiful place. It is unique. It is Divine. It is YOU.
Affirmations that will support the healthy Marketing Spirit in you!
-I am sharing my passion with the world because it is important and it feels good. The more people who know about my project, the more people I can assist!
-Being myself and being real will make my business a success.
-I am confident. I am working hard and do good work, there is no reason to be worried.
-I am generous first. I never worry about “what’s in it for me.” The success of my fellow herbalists and the success of the environmental movement is as important to me as my own success!
I encourage you to give yourself as much time as you need to realize and become your dreams. It’s all about the journey, not the destination, remember?!
This fun post was co-written by Kiki and Kristie. We hope you enjoy!