Poppy Swap Forum (Home) » Ask an Herbalist

How do you use Rumex?

Dock: High in minerals and vitamins such as magnesium, iron, calcium, vitamins A and C. The leaves contain a relatively high amount of oxalic acid which can irritate the urinary tract and may cause kidney stones if eaten in large amounts on a regular basis. Nibbling on small amounts of leaves when they first come up in the spring will help us to spring into action after a long restful winter. We will be rooting for the roots here in the fall and staying away from the leaves.

Dock is used to help remove heavy metals such as arsenic and lead from the body via bile function of the liver. It would behoove those who live in older buildings or work in around such metals to use dock roots as a tonic, meaning small amounts over long term. It will enhance urine production.

A decoction and/or syrup made from the dock roots is beneficial as a laxative when we’ve eaten too many slices of cheese-heavy pizza or for those who are constipated due to pharmaceuticals. It also helps to calm an overly active intestinal tract and works as an intestinal anti inflammatory. It nourishes the liver, promotes good digestion and enhances the appetite. This is very helpful for those who are dealing with appetite depressors such as chemotherapy.

Sounds like a plant we need to add to our apothecary, doesn’t it?

In addition, dock will soothe upper respiratory issues stemming from colds, bronchitis, asthma, pneumonia and emphysema.

The tea is very bitter and is much easier taken in as a syrup or oxymel.

One thing I so appreciate about dock is how it paired being high in iron with its laxative effect. A common side affect of taking iron in high amounts is constipation. Dock naturally takes care of this by stimulating the intestines and promoting smooth and easy bowel movements.

How do you use this important herb??

"Step over to the Wild Side, where the plants have always been 'Green.'" S. Jordan
http://www.cedarmountainherbs.com

Replies to this topic

• RosaArtemisia
  • gwendolyn ♥

I don't use this herb, but after reading this post I think I should!  I wonder how it could benefit someone who doesn't have a gallbladder or who may have gallstones?  Thank you so much for this informative and very interesting post!

Gwendolyn Rose Botanicals ~ ♥
http://www.GwendolynForever.etsy.com

I love love love love love this plant! I blend it in with other blood purifiers/liver cleansing/tonic diuretic (ish) formulas! I delight in its relationship with burdock root, dandelion root and nettles. Every spring I work just w/ Rumex. It feels so good in my body cleaning out the build-up from the winter. Presently I'm enjoying Liver Symmetry formula by Organic Unity who did a beautiful job formulating a kick-butt medicine which includes Rumex. I highly recommend!

*¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*´¨)
(¸.•´ (¸*´¨( Kristie {Spirit Horse Herbals} PoppySwappin' @ http://www.poppyswap.com/shop/SpiritHorseHerbals

G.G., the entire digestive system is benefitted, nourished and guided into strength with Rumex, therefore it would be a good idea for those without a gall bladder to add some dock root to their weekly diet in some form or another. Over time, changes for the better will be revealed.

• RosaArtemisia
  • gwendolyn ♥

Amazing!!! Thank you so much!

My apprentices and I spent the day yesterday digging up Rumex occidentalis in a river delta that had been diked many decades ago to create farmland. The soil is amazingly easy to dig; the roots just popped up. We made oxymels, tincture, have quite a lot in our dehydrators for later usage. We drank it as a part of my Love Your Liver Tea formula. We ate lunch at the edge of the world where land meets water with Great Blue Herons as company. A beautiful day, wonderful company. I so love working with and teaching my apprentices. They are always so excited about where we go and the wild plants they learn about. My apprenticeship programs are very hands on and so much fun. And it's not just about plants. They learn how to take care of my chickens and outdoor rabbits (the garden's fertilzer bunnies) who live in the veggie garden. One apprentice told me yesterday that it's so much fun at my homestead. I couldn't agree with her more.

I do have a facebook page to check out: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cedar-Mountain-Herb-School/199194060117277

• RosaArtemisia
  • gwendolyn ♥

Cedar Mountain Herb School:  I love your positive energy!!  It is such good medicine, and is such a loving example with a powerful effect.  Your homestead sounds like such an amazing place, and I can well understand why your apprentices love it there.  I hope it thrives and grows.  This world sure could use more of what you have to offer!

gwendolyn

Post Meta

Latest reply from gwendolyn ♥

You must log in to post.