Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home1/lotusnhc/public_html/community.poppyswap.com/forum/bb-settings.php on line 186

Strict Standards: Redefining already defined constructor for class BPDB in /home1/lotusnhc/public_html/community.poppyswap.com/forum/bb-includes/backpress/class.bpdb.php on line 183

Strict Standards: Declaration of BB_Walker_Blank::start_lvl() should be compatible with BB_Walker::start_lvl($output) in /home1/lotusnhc/public_html/community.poppyswap.com/forum/bb-includes/class.bb-walker.php on line 148

Strict Standards: Declaration of BB_Walker_Blank::end_lvl() should be compatible with BB_Walker::end_lvl($output) in /home1/lotusnhc/public_html/community.poppyswap.com/forum/bb-includes/class.bb-walker.php on line 148

Strict Standards: Declaration of BB_Walker_Blank::start_el() should be compatible with BB_Walker::start_el($output) in /home1/lotusnhc/public_html/community.poppyswap.com/forum/bb-includes/class.bb-walker.php on line 148

Strict Standards: Declaration of BB_Walker_Blank::end_el() should be compatible with BB_Walker::end_el($output) in /home1/lotusnhc/public_html/community.poppyswap.com/forum/bb-includes/class.bb-walker.php on line 148

Strict Standards: Redefining already defined constructor for class WP_Object_Cache in /home1/lotusnhc/public_html/community.poppyswap.com/forum/bb-includes/backpress/class.wp-object-cache.php on line 285

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home1/lotusnhc/public_html/community.poppyswap.com/forum/bb-includes/backpress/functions.wp-object-cache.php on line 108

Strict Standards: Redefining already defined constructor for class WP_Http in /home1/lotusnhc/public_html/community.poppyswap.com/forum/bb-includes/backpress/class.wp-http.php on line 67

Strict Standards: Redefining already defined constructor for class WP_Http_Cookie in /home1/lotusnhc/public_html/community.poppyswap.com/forum/bb-includes/backpress/class.wp-http.php on line 1633

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home1/lotusnhc/public_html/community.poppyswap.com/forum/bb-includes/backpress/pomo/mo.php on line 171

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home1/lotusnhc/public_html/community.poppyswap.com/forum/bb-includes/functions.bb-l10n.php on line 484

Strict Standards: Redefining already defined constructor for class WP_Users in /home1/lotusnhc/public_html/community.poppyswap.com/forum/bb-includes/backpress/class.wp-users.php on line 11

Strict Standards: Redefining already defined constructor for class BP_Roles in /home1/lotusnhc/public_html/community.poppyswap.com/forum/bb-includes/backpress/class.bp-roles.php on line 11

Strict Standards: Redefining already defined constructor for class WP_Auth in /home1/lotusnhc/public_html/community.poppyswap.com/forum/bb-includes/backpress/class.wp-auth.php on line 36

Strict Standards: Redefining already defined constructor for class WP_Dependencies in /home1/lotusnhc/public_html/community.poppyswap.com/forum/bb-includes/backpress/class.wp-dependencies.php on line 33

Strict Standards: Redefining already defined constructor for class WP_Taxonomy in /home1/lotusnhc/public_html/community.poppyswap.com/forum/bb-includes/backpress/class.wp-taxonomy.php on line 36

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home1/lotusnhc/public_html/community.poppyswap.com/forum/bb-includes/backpress/class.wp-taxonomy.php on line 581

Strict Standards: Non-static method BP_Options::get() should not be called statically in /home1/lotusnhc/public_html/community.poppyswap.com/forum/bb-includes/backpress/functions.bp-options.php on line 9

Strict Standards: Non-static method BP_Options::get() should not be called statically in /home1/lotusnhc/public_html/community.poppyswap.com/forum/bb-includes/backpress/functions.bp-options.php on line 9

Strict Standards: Non-static method BP_Options::get() should not be called statically in /home1/lotusnhc/public_html/community.poppyswap.com/forum/bb-includes/class.bp-options.php on line 26

Strict Standards: Non-static method BP_Options::prefix() should not be called statically in /home1/lotusnhc/public_html/community.poppyswap.com/forum/bb-includes/class.bp-options.php on line 46

Strict Standards: Non-static method BP_Options::prefix() should not be called statically in /home1/lotusnhc/public_html/community.poppyswap.com/forum/bb-includes/class.bp-options.php on line 46
<br /> <b>Strict Standards</b>: Non-static method BP_Options::get() should not be called statically in <b>/home1/lotusnhc/public_html/community.poppyswap.com/forum/bb-includes/backpress/functions.bp-options.php</b> on line <b>9</b><br /> Hello from Mickelberry Gardens « Poppy Swap Forum

Poppy Swap Forum (Home) » Introductions

Hello from Mickelberry Gardens

Hello, I'm Madelyn, and Mickelberry Gardens is my company. My husband and I are beekeepers, and our company grew from our work with the honeybees and my love of herbal medicine. We keep about 40 hives on a certified organic farm in Troutdale, Oregon, and harvest honey, beeswax, and propolis with respect and gratitude. Herbal honey and beeswax creations are our specialty!

I have been inspired to make herbal medicine from spending lots of time creating and tending urban gardens, from the pages of my growing herbal library, and from plant teachers I have been blessed to learn from. I gravitate towards using plants I have gotten to know well over the years, and am always looking to learn more and go deeper. I really love to combine plants that I trust with the magical gifts of the honeybees, with an underlying commitment to sustainability.

Holistic beekeeping methods are the backbone of our herbal honey and beeswax creations. I have spent a lot of my life working towards various degrees and certificates, and now I am putting my energy towards developing a sustainable livelihood.

I'm new to poppyswap - check out my store:

http://www.poppyswap.com/store/mickelberrygardens

and our company website:

http://www.mickelberrygardens.com

Nice to meet you!

Replies to this topic

Whoops the poppyswap link doesn't work, here's a good one, I think:

http://www.poppyswap.com/storeprofile.asp?userid=566

• admin
  • kiki

It was sooo great to meet you this weekend Madelyn!! And especially nice to try your products first hand! 

PS: the reason the other link didn't work is that you have to use "shop" vs. "store"

oxo  Kiki

Kiki
~bring people herbs~
poppyswap.com

Welcome fellow swapper! So nice to 'meet' you. Your products look beautiful and amazing. So glad you are here!

xo

Kristie

*¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*´¨)
(¸.•´ (¸*´¨( Kristie {Spirit Horse Herbals} PoppySwappin' @ http://www.poppyswap.com/shop/SpiritHorseHerbals
  • greenjourney
  • greenjourney

Welcome Madelyn and Mickelberry Gardenfolk!

Thanks for joining us on Poppyswap, your shop is terrific! Truly an interesting line of products. Your product descriptions are outstanding, and I appreciate that sharing knowledge is your strength. Your art and labels are really appealing, too.

I checked out your blog and am fascinated. I just had to subscribe! We grow organic seeds and rely on our one honeybee colony for pollination. A couple of years ago, I began to learn beekeeping, and have slowly taken over the hive management. We moved our bees into a Warre topbar hive in the spring of 2010.

By some coincidence, I just sold some of our seed cards to a newish retail store in Eugene called the Eugene Backyard Farmer. They carry some natural beekeeping supplies and wanted our cards with seeds of plants which attract and feed the bees. So, I am working on a new "Set of 4 Beefriendly Seed Cards" which will include Cilantro, Sunflower Mix, Painted Poppy Mix, and Wood Betony (which is the bumblebee favorite around here).

I'm wondering if you may like to swap any of your products for my seeds or seed cards? I'm interested in trying your thoat and cough or ginseng honey therapy.

Good luck with your beesiness and enjoy our community!

Aline

Aline Crehore, Green Journey Seeds
In Plants We Trust
http://www.poppyswap.com/shop/greenjourneyseeds

Hey Aline, thanks for the great feedback! :) I would love to swap for some seeds. I really admire the work you're doing with seed saving as well! You have some interesting varieties of things I would really like to try. And I love that they will be naturalized to our Oregon climate! I'm looking forward to adding even more medicinals to our garden this year!

Here's what I would love to trade for:

Wood Betony, both Skullcap varieties, St. John's Wort, Holy Basil, Cilantro, Echinacea, Tobacco, Sunflower Mix, Shungiko Chrysanthemum, Kenaf Hibiscus, Mexican Sunflower. 

I could do a ginseng and a 4 oz. throat&cough for these seeds, and also throw in a lip balm or 2. Does that seem fair to you?

I'm loving this community already! :)

Best of luck with your honeybees, too - I'm sure your farm is a wonderful haven for all kinds of pollinators. The "Beefriendly seed cards" is a great way to promote pollinator friendly gardening, I love it!

• marcus mccoy
  • marcus mccoy

How interesting... So your not making electuaries technically but herbally infused honeys combined with, tinctures maybe? I've made electuaries before and love it! But your products seem different. Very cool! I love honey as super food medicine!

Distillation is the search for the spirit within...
http://cascadianhydrosols.blogspot.com/
  • greenjourney
  • greenjourney

I love your sweet reply, Madelyn! Your interest is genuine and your offer is generous. I'm really glad I got up the courage to ask! We'll both get to share the goodness! I'm happy to provide seeds for your expanding herb garden. And to try your medicine. I'll use the honey propolis combo to remedy a sore throat, and I'll give the ginseng honey therapy to my partner Steve.

I'll send you my mailing address by way of the poppyswap blind email route, then you can send me yours by replying to that.

I think we have the makings of an affinity group or at least a mutual appreciation society...and thanks to Kiki for suggesting I contact you.

And a warm welcome to Marcus, another accomplished herbalist to join Poppyswap! Your working in a realm I'm unfamiliar with but curious about. I'm wanting to check out your blog, too.  I haven't seen the word "electuaries" before, can you brief me on what this is? A honey/medicine preparation?

Sharing is Oneness

Aline

• marcus mccoy
  • marcus mccoy

Hi green journey! Thanks!
Electuaries Or linctures are honeys that are blended with powdered herbs I have made acai, reshi and amla electuaries and maca cordyceps electuaries. Amazingly tasty and Sooooo good for you! Love it. They are really easy to make and kinda a rare and obscure medicinal. I learned about them from the Botanical Preservation Corps, love those guys. Master herbalists/ethnobotanists. http://www.botanicalpreservationcorps.com/honey_1.htm
Very cool folks, they used to run the enthnobotany seminars.
They are really easy to make. Just dose out our powdered herb as one would with say a capsule dosage but per teaspoon of honey. Mix the powdered herbs with the warmed honey then let cool. Then dose out by the teaspoon full. Preserves the herbs as well as alcohol and is a Good option for people who don't want to use alcohol or glycerin, plus the added health benefit of the honey;)

• greenjourney
  • greenjourney

Got it! This is fascinating. I'm one who prefers to limit alcohol when possible, choosing the honey/propolis combo over the propolis extracted with alcohol, for instance. I think I read that Madelyn's contain only 15% alcohol, likely this is the herb portion. So her products turned me on. Alcohol damages the liver and is hard on the throat. An electuary might be a good choice for a bitter herb like goldenseal, for instance?

We connected with the BPC back in the mid 90's when they were known as ...of the jungle. They were selling some very rare seeds and plants, then. We were just starting out at farmers market with nursery plants. We still have the Coleus forskolin growing in our greenhouse.

Thanks for mentioning them and giving us the procedure you outlined here! Your blog is very handsome and reeks (Smile no disrespect intended) of integrity! And good luck getting your bigger still up and running...

Peace is growing

Aline

• marcus mccoy
  • marcus mccoy

Yeah of the jungle was awe inspiring!
When I worked at fungi perfecti I would always recommend people put the alcohol tincture in some hot water diluting it, boiling water would evaporate most the alcohol IMHO...
Thanks though, yah integrity is my whole focus. I am hoping to produce one product that will go big so I can donate to wolf haven a local wolf refuge.

Hi Marcus, yes my honey therapy formulas are not really electuaries - although I have experimented with making electuaries. They're really fun to have in the kitchen, they make an amazing addition to raw confections - if you combine dried coconut, cocoa powder, honey electuary, and some butter or coconut oil you've got a really delicious way to take your medicine! The formulas you have made sound interesting too, I've been thinking about combining reishi with honey for a while but haven't done it yet.

Our honey therapies are technically more of an oxymel - a folk medicine combination of raw honey and herbal vinegar. Although herbal vinegars are not as strong as an alcohol tincture, their use by herbalists pre-dates the invention of alcohol. An herbal vinegar is also more effective at extracting the vitamin and mineral content of a plant. And vinegar is very nutritious and full of incredible health promoting benefits, as opposed to alcohol which has health detriments, like Aline points out.

Some of the plants we use in our honey therapy are not well-suited for an herbal vinegar, so sometimes we employ alcohol extracts in our formulas. Also propolis is best extracted with alcohol. Our Throat & Cough formula has a 15% alcohol content - it's vitamin rich, a strong demulcent and expectorant, has a strong concentration of propolis to fight viral and bacterial infection, and uses honey and herbal vinegar to soothe and coat throat tissues.

Also the American ginseng honey therapy contents are an American ginseng extract made with alcohol and raw honey. This honey concoction is our take on the classical Chinese medicine combination of honey and ginseng. Ginseng is a bitter tonic herb, and the honey balances it nicely.

Our formula provides a nice alternative to ginseng & honey combinations on the market from China - any honey product from China is, unfortunately, not to be trusted, as it is highly likely to be adulterated and laced with contaminants - or possibly not even honey at all. We also use Oregon shade-grown American Ginseng rather than Chinese ginseng - it's a source we trust and know is pure, whereas a lot of chinese agricultural practices are quality-suspect.

Post Meta

Latest reply from Mickelberry Gardens

You must log in to post.