Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home1/lotusnhc/public_html/community.poppyswap.com/forum/bb-settings.php on line 186

Strict Standards: Redefining already defined constructor for class BPDB in /home1/lotusnhc/public_html/community.poppyswap.com/forum/bb-includes/backpress/class.bpdb.php on line 183

Strict Standards: Declaration of BB_Walker_Blank::start_lvl() should be compatible with BB_Walker::start_lvl($output) in /home1/lotusnhc/public_html/community.poppyswap.com/forum/bb-includes/class.bb-walker.php on line 148

Strict Standards: Declaration of BB_Walker_Blank::end_lvl() should be compatible with BB_Walker::end_lvl($output) in /home1/lotusnhc/public_html/community.poppyswap.com/forum/bb-includes/class.bb-walker.php on line 148

Strict Standards: Declaration of BB_Walker_Blank::start_el() should be compatible with BB_Walker::start_el($output) in /home1/lotusnhc/public_html/community.poppyswap.com/forum/bb-includes/class.bb-walker.php on line 148

Strict Standards: Declaration of BB_Walker_Blank::end_el() should be compatible with BB_Walker::end_el($output) in /home1/lotusnhc/public_html/community.poppyswap.com/forum/bb-includes/class.bb-walker.php on line 148

Strict Standards: Redefining already defined constructor for class WP_Object_Cache in /home1/lotusnhc/public_html/community.poppyswap.com/forum/bb-includes/backpress/class.wp-object-cache.php on line 285

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home1/lotusnhc/public_html/community.poppyswap.com/forum/bb-includes/backpress/functions.wp-object-cache.php on line 108

Strict Standards: Redefining already defined constructor for class WP_Http in /home1/lotusnhc/public_html/community.poppyswap.com/forum/bb-includes/backpress/class.wp-http.php on line 67

Strict Standards: Redefining already defined constructor for class WP_Http_Cookie in /home1/lotusnhc/public_html/community.poppyswap.com/forum/bb-includes/backpress/class.wp-http.php on line 1633

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home1/lotusnhc/public_html/community.poppyswap.com/forum/bb-includes/backpress/pomo/mo.php on line 171

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home1/lotusnhc/public_html/community.poppyswap.com/forum/bb-includes/functions.bb-l10n.php on line 484

Strict Standards: Redefining already defined constructor for class WP_Users in /home1/lotusnhc/public_html/community.poppyswap.com/forum/bb-includes/backpress/class.wp-users.php on line 11

Strict Standards: Redefining already defined constructor for class BP_Roles in /home1/lotusnhc/public_html/community.poppyswap.com/forum/bb-includes/backpress/class.bp-roles.php on line 11

Strict Standards: Redefining already defined constructor for class WP_Auth in /home1/lotusnhc/public_html/community.poppyswap.com/forum/bb-includes/backpress/class.wp-auth.php on line 36

Strict Standards: Redefining already defined constructor for class WP_Dependencies in /home1/lotusnhc/public_html/community.poppyswap.com/forum/bb-includes/backpress/class.wp-dependencies.php on line 33

Strict Standards: Redefining already defined constructor for class WP_Taxonomy in /home1/lotusnhc/public_html/community.poppyswap.com/forum/bb-includes/backpress/class.wp-taxonomy.php on line 36

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home1/lotusnhc/public_html/community.poppyswap.com/forum/bb-includes/backpress/class.wp-taxonomy.php on line 581

Strict Standards: Non-static method BP_Options::get() should not be called statically in /home1/lotusnhc/public_html/community.poppyswap.com/forum/bb-includes/backpress/functions.bp-options.php on line 9

Strict Standards: Non-static method BP_Options::get() should not be called statically in /home1/lotusnhc/public_html/community.poppyswap.com/forum/bb-includes/backpress/functions.bp-options.php on line 9

Strict Standards: Non-static method BP_Options::get() should not be called statically in /home1/lotusnhc/public_html/community.poppyswap.com/forum/bb-includes/class.bp-options.php on line 26

Strict Standards: Non-static method BP_Options::prefix() should not be called statically in /home1/lotusnhc/public_html/community.poppyswap.com/forum/bb-includes/class.bp-options.php on line 46

Strict Standards: Non-static method BP_Options::prefix() should not be called statically in /home1/lotusnhc/public_html/community.poppyswap.com/forum/bb-includes/class.bp-options.php on line 46
<br /> <b>Strict Standards</b>: Non-static method BP_Options::get() should not be called statically in <b>/home1/lotusnhc/public_html/community.poppyswap.com/forum/bb-includes/backpress/functions.bp-options.php</b> on line <b>9</b><br /> Greetings and Gratitude at Harvest Time « Poppy Swap Forum

Poppy Swap Forum (Home) » Introductions

Greetings and Gratitude at Harvest Time

• greenjourney

I joined this conmmunity several months ago to create a shop for Green Journey Seeds. We have begun by listing herb seeds from our 2011 seed list, and will be adding more flowers and edibles. Thanks to those of you who have found us at poppyswap and viewed our store & listings so far!

We began Green Journey Seeds in 1995 and have been saving many of our seed varieties since then. We are pleased to offer this collection of our own hand-picked organic seeds. We are grateful for the opportunity to be part of poppyswap, and especially love how Kiki has fielded all of my many questions (I am new at internet marketing) with speed and humor.

We are busy gathering seeds and herbs, and bringing these indoors to dry. Thanks to our recent sunny weather for speeding the ripening of these precious gifts from the garden. It is a beautiful experience to be able to grow the herbs we need, and I feel graced by the goodness of this land. I feel sure many of you share these blessings, and I wish a healthy harvest to all of you in our community.

As I sort through the new seed collection, I wonder "how can I inspire poppy swappers with the confidence to buy their seeds from us?" I would be grateful for your thoughts on this.

Aline Crehore, Green Journey Seeds
In Plants We Trust
http://www.poppyswap.com/shop/greenjourneyseeds

Replies to this topic

• greenjourney
  • greenjourney

Many thanks for all your contributions to this forum over the past 2 weeks! I've gained much insight from your thoughts on marketing to the internet audience. I'm encouraged to know that I can float a question (like the one at the end of the above post) and get such a timely and complete response through this forum!

Go to the great Marketing Mondays posts to see what I mean...and I know these were written for all of us...but personally I couldn't be more pleased!

Thanks Kristie and Kiki and the whole team at Poppy Swap!

Hi Aline~

I'm so glad you are finding the Marketing Monday posts helpful. I hope you have been able to employ some of the suggestions we have made. Keep your eye out for more to come in the following weeks. Hopefully these tips and 'pointers' will help answer your question above. This is the question we are all asking ourselves, those of us who are interested in direct marketing online. It's a good one! If there is any direct support I can offer, please know I am available~ One of my favorite clients I've worked with to date is a family-owned seed company in Boulder, Colorado. (http://www.bbbseed.com) I personally LOVE seeds and even participated in the development of our first seed lending library here in Westcliffe, Colorado. It's a beautiful thing you are doing~

Kristie

Kristie Nackord
Marketing Consultant~
http://www.KristieNackord.com
  • RosaArtemisia
  • gwendolyn ♥

Hello Aline,

I missed this post, so I'm glad it was updated some.  I think there is something endearing about your sheer sincerity, and I'm really glad you asked this question.  Quite frankly, I find seeds a little bit intimidating, as I have only had minimal success with them.  Perhaps, in your marketing you could incorporate a way to make them "user friendly"... such as tips for optimum success.  I don't know, but that's just my two cents.  I tend to think of seeds as my "someday, when I have more time" kind of idea... maybe you could market them like, "the time is now and here are some ways to make it really easy for you"... sort of like what HerbMentor has done for herbal education.

Gwendolyn Rose Botanicals ~ ♥
http://www.GwendolynForever.etsy.com
  • RosaArtemisia
  • gwendolyn ♥

O! Aline, I just thought of another idea....

What if you create kits, like an herbal medicine chest kit, a summer salad kit, an Herbs d'Provence kit, etc, etc.  Each kit could come with 3 packets of seeds-  not too many or it could become overwhelming, especially to someone just starting out.  You could include peat moss pellets or whatever you think is the best starter, some little terracotta pots, and detailed step-by-step instructions.  Then you could put it all in a sweet little box, and it would be the perfect gift for the holidays, because it could be a family project, a homeschool project, a lovely birthday gift, a retirement gift, a gift for a plant-loving child, etc, etc. 

I don't know, but it occurred to me, and since you asked, I thought I'd share.

• DragonflyDew
  • DragonflyDew

Hi Aline! I'm so glad that you care enough about growing and harvesting the seeds and offering them for sale to others. Although I don't sell seeds myself, I've spent many decades buying them, germinating them, and watching in wonder as they grow into beautiful plants. Many of the seeds I save for several years and just plant a few each spring in my propagation trays, others I plant directly outside. As a customer, I look at buying from local companies and/or companies who have the same values I do: organic, non-gmo, love of the earth seed growers who love to educate people on how to use their seeds. Does that help you? Every customer is different, so I guess what I'm trying to say is stay true to what you believe in for you and your company - there are many of us out there looking for just what you have to give!! Growing most plants from seeds is easier than many people think - giving them the best start possible is the most important step.

Kathy

For gardens and gardeners, nature lovers and earth sustainers ~ http://www.gardeningfornature.com
Dragonfly Dew at Poppy Swap ~ http://www.poppyswap.com/shop/DragonflyDew
  • RosaArtemisia
  • gwendolyn ♥

Gosh, Kathy, that is great advice!  I feel the same way as you do, especially in regards to the standards you look for when purchasing seeds.  I especially love your words, "seed growers who love to educate people on how to use their seeds."  I have purchased seeds from companies and the information on the back of the package would be pretty much the same for all the seeds packages, which was a bit confusing.  Also, as I got older I tried tossing seeds on the soil in an effort to mimic wild conditions... I have had great success with the Calendula, but only moderate to very poor success with all the others.  One that I've tried many times is Lavender, and I have read that Lavender can be tricky.  That's one I hope to learn someday.

I used to grow seeds when I was younger without a problem, but it got harder as I got older.  Don't know why.

I mentioned the kit idea because I purchased the Herbal Medicine Making kit last winter for my daughter, and she LOVES it.  It has been such a beautiful experience watching her blossom into herbal healing for herself and now her cat.  She makes herself an herbal infusion every evening and drinks it through out the day.... I could never have passed on that wisdom to her with such grace.  So I thought maybe a seed kit would be fun and rewarding.  Also, I have a natural inclination towards kits and collections.  I guess its just the kid in me, but I love that kind of stuff.

These posts become so interesting as everyone starts to add their experience and wisdom.  I just love it!! :)  Like Kathy said, stay true to yourself and what you believe in... that is beautiful advice!!

• DragonflyDew
  • DragonflyDew

Gwendoyln, thanks for all the nice comments! I knew there were others who think like me in this community, one of the many reasons I'm here. I love your ideas of the kits, it's a great way to get started. As far as lavender being difficult to grow from seed, it is difficult in the traditional seed sowing sense. What I mean by that is it doesn't seem to do so well when started in the propagation cells or peat pots, but grows great in gravel or pea gravel topped soil. One of the best things you can do to learn about how seeds will germinate is to go look and see where they grow best in nature. My lavenders that are planted in soil tend to sow their seeds in the gravel around them, in the flagstone paths, or even in mostly sand. They like a dry crown, and they also tend to need a bit of cool/cold (ie stratification) in order to germinate well. Agastaches, also called hummingbird mint or hyssop, tend to do the same thing. My hardiest agastaches are growing in my gravel parking spot and in a little crack of space in the edge of a flagstone path. So, go out into nature to see how things like to grow and I think you'll have more luck!!

Kathy

• RosaArtemisia
  • gwendolyn ♥

Wow, Kathy!  You are a wealth of fascinating information!! Thank you!

Also, as far as the gimmicks I was suggesting earlier... sometimes its the gimmick that gives me that extra push.  I tend to closely examine the whole product before making my choice, but if you look at my etsy favorites you will see many organic, non-GMO, heirloom seeds there.  I haven't made the decision to buy them because I don't want to waste them; I have them ear-marked as my someday, maybe type of project.  I figure that I'll just wait until I have the time to dedicate myself to learning about them.  However, if seed planting can be easier than it seems, then perhaps adding that message to your slogan or your advertising angle might help people to perk up and look a little bit more closely at your product.  I'm just speaking from a personal point of view, but it seems like the majority of our human population -myself included- has been conditioned to trust professionals exclusively, and to accept anything that is flashy, easy, polished, and/or risk free.  So solutions to addressing this cultural phenomenon might be:  polished, uncomplicated imagery to capture the initial glance (as mentioned in the last Marketing Monday post), an expert yet easy to understand product description, and a slogan or marketing tactic that addresses the reservations of creative, intelligent, curious people who are interested in learning about seeds, but don't come from that background and therefore aren't buying your product.

I don't know- I'm not an expert.  Just some ideas... no doubt you will start to think of plenty of good ideas yourself after reading through some of these posts.

Kathy, thanks again for that explanation about lavender.  It makes me want to go outside.  I just planted a long row of lavender bushes earlier this spring, and I haven't had them long enough to see what will happen over time, but now I'm excited.  Our climate zone is mediterranean, so it seems that lavender seeds would be naturally inclined to want to live here.... we shall see.

You must log in to post.