Poppy Swap Forum (Home) » Sellers- Poppy Swap Features and Marketing Tips

Creating coupons for your store!

• admin

Hi Swappers,

Well we had our first big event of sales. It was lots of fun and thanks to everyone who participated. We had record sales for those 2 days!! 

I did want to point out some critical info that will help in the future! 

1. When you make your coupon...CHECK THE DATE!! It's easy to be off by a day. We all do it. Check your calendar and make sure you have the date correct. We had one seller off by a day and it made her coupon fail which is a quick way to lose a customer. 

2. Learn from the pros. Go to the first page of the market directory right now. If you scan down you will see that Spirit Horse, Blue Turtle and Sea Willow have all added their promotions to their store info. This helps shoppers who are scanning for deals find you!! 

3. Make sure you double check the details. We had one seller who had set the date and promtion code correctly but had left the quantity of coupons set to zero. What she had meant was there was "no # limit" but so it should have been left blank. The zero in that box made it so that no one could use it!! She lost at least 2 customers that day.

Please let me know if you have any questions about creating coupons. When we do more events in the future, we will give you more time in advance to be ready! 

If you are running a sale let me know so that I can blast it on Facebook, twitter and the blog!

Best, Kiki

Kiki
~bring people herbs~
poppyswap.com

Replies to this topic

• admin
  • kiki

Just remembered!

#4 As a courtesy to your customers, please put the promotion code name in your store! People complained about having to "flip" back and forth from our email to their shopping cart. Let's make it easy for our fans!!

• greenjourney
  • greenjourney

Thanks, Kiki, for the tips on working with coupons. This was my first time using it, and I had noticed some other sellers using tip # 2, so that's how I announced my sale, and I included my promotion code. This way all the info is both in the marketplace directory and in my store at the top of the gallery listings, which satisfies your tip #4.

Since my sale was for one day, the start date and end date were the same. I'm not sure if that was right, but that's how I did it.

I'm thinking about offering a gift certificate. Can someone explain how that works with online sales? Is it something like a coupon?

Aline

Aline Crehore, Green Journey Seeds
In Plants We Trust
http://www.poppyswap.com/shop/greenjourneyseeds
  • greenjourney
  • greenjourney

Hi, me again,

I'm thinking about offering an "Early Bird" special to seed buyers who shop early in the season. I like the idea of buy 3 packets, get 1 free. I don't know how to create a coupon for this, they seem to be set up for discounts only. I can't afford to discount every sale, but if I'm sending out at least 3 packets, I can easily add another for free!

Any ideas?

Aline

Hi Aline~

Currently we are only set up to do free shipping or offering a discount which is applied to the entire shopping cart. As of right now we can not apply a discount to only one item. That takes some sophisticated programming and we are exploring it all!

I like your idea of doing a buy 3 get 1 free. And perhpas just naming the free packet of seed that you will be giving away as opposed to letting people choose. The online seed shopping mania has begun. I follow and connect with a lot of gardeners online via Twitter and Facebook for various reasons (I'm a grower myself) and there is lots of activity happening now online. I hope you will find the ways to join in!

*¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*´¨)
(¸.•´ (¸*´¨( Kristie {Spirit Horse Herbals} PoppySwappin' @ http://www.poppyswap.com/shop/SpiritHorseHerbals
  • greenjourney
  • greenjourney

Thanks a lot, Kristie!

Given the current set-up, and rethinking this from another point of view, allows me to see another solution.

I ask myself, what do you want to achieve with this promotion? Mainly, I want to give folks an incentive to shop early.

The Buy 3, get 1 free, is about a 25% discount...in other words, I sell 4 for the price of 3. This seems too large a discount to apply to all sales, but if I made it simply 15% off all early sales, it feels like a "can do". And I like that this approach drops the buy 3 requirement for buyers.

Secondarily, I was also thinking of trying to encourage folks to buy more than 1 or 2 packets at a time, but I think giving a steep discount on the shipping costs for additional items already serves that purpose.

So, here's a heads up to all you early birds...15% off storewide starting now! Or just as soon as I can hop over to my shop and do it!

Thanks for being there!

Aline

Hi Aline~

I just posted your sale to the Poppy Swap FB page and its on Twitter and tweeted to the #gardenchat and #herbchat folks. I know you don't use these online tools so I did it for you!

~ Kristie

• greenjourney
  • greenjourney

Hi Kristie,

Many thanks for your help in promoting seed sales through the social media. The "earlybird" coupon has helped to stimulate sales like I had hoped. I'm delighted to get all of this support! With just 2 days left to go, I have realised that some of my customers who didn't take the discount, may not have been aware of the coupon. I am wondering how that could be?

I'm thinking that if a buyer found my listing by way of the product directory, that is the Home & Garden category, Seeds subcategory, they will not have seen the notice in the marketplace directory, or on my Gallery or About the store pages. Or if they had followed any of the direct links found in the blog or newsletter which connected them directly to a product listing, they missed all of those notices, too.

I've been giving a refund to those buyers who didn't take the discount. But, how can I do better, next time? Do I have to post the discount notice on each listing? Is there anyway to edit all listings at once? Or should I put the notice on my banner (since this appears on all posts) when a sale is on?

What would you do?

Thanks so much!

Aline

• admin
  • kiki

Hi Aline!

You are so sweet. Most likely, the customers just got excited about your seeds and didn't really catch on to the sale. Its really cool that you honor the discount anyway.

I think sales are most noticeable if you put it in the area of your account that relates to your storefront. "About the store" where you write you short description, appears in the marketplace directory. Therefore, its most likely that people will see it when they are clicking on your store logo or scanning through all the stores and get excited about the sale. 

You did everything right. We just can't always control what gets communicated to every individual when they are surfing the web!

Hope that helps! Glad you are making some sales!!!

xox

• greenjourney
  • greenjourney

Hey Kiki!

Thank you for your reply, I'm glad to know I did my part in communicating the sale.
And I guess the refunds I have given will be well received.
It still feels early in the season, so I'm going to extend the 15% sale end date from March 6 to March 11th.

Also, we have 6 new seed listings this week in our gallery to crow about :))

Early Bird Sale: 15% off All Seeds using discount code earlybird now thru March 11th!

Thanks Poppy Swappers!

Love,  Aline

• mojoloco7
  • mojoloco7

Hi everyone!

I'm new to Poppy Swap and I am having a hard time finding where I'm supposed to enter a coupon code. I tried when I clicked on my basket, proceed to checkout, and once I was logged into PayPal. Am I just being really dense and missing something obvious?

Thanks!

• admin
  • kiki

Hi Mojoloco!!

We have a feeling you are trying to use a coupon that has expired. The coupon code entry box only appears if there is an active coupon running. 

We even have a feeling we know what store you are shopping ;)) We're email w your lovely herbalist now to see what we can do!!

Hope for good news soon!

• mojoloco7
  • mojoloco7

Hi kiki,

I just heard back from the seller - thanks so much for helping us get this straightened out! I just made my first purchase - wooooo! I am so glad that I found poppy swap :)

xoxo

• admin
  • kiki

Fantastic!

So happy to have you on the swap! Thanks for supporting our wonderful herbalists!

You must log in to post.