Tuesday, June 4th, 2013

Cynthia Johnston is the dreamer and creator of MoonMaid Botanicals. MoonMaid Botanicals provides products that are good for the people and the planet! All the products are made with ingredients that are certified organic, wild crafted, or grown in the garden. With all the toxins that surround us in the world, MoonMaid offers products that will enhance the natural rhythm of life. MoonMaid is here to give our bodies herbal assistance whenever possible.

A Little About Cynthia:

I came to work with plants, as a young teenager, searching for alternatives to the drugs I was taking for asthma.  Though they kept me breathing, there were many uncomfortable side effects.  I read Back to Eden and was fascinated at the many medical and nutritional benefits herbs had.  I imagined having an apothecary so I might grab a dab of this, a pinch of that for brewing into teas and tinctures. Dandelion blossoms, rosemary, and comfrey are the first herbs that spoke to me in the garden and to my delight, they grew easily and abundantly in my yard and garden patch.  It was while studying with Amanda McQuade Crawford that I learned I was an adept at making herbal creams and salves, and hence MoonMaid Botanicals was born.  I love sharing the magic and benefits of herbs with my customers, friends and family.

What is one dream you have today that you will fulfill?

The Larger Dream for MoonMaid Botanicals is to secure my land into a land trust to forever preserve the abundant woodland medicinals that are native to the area. Ginseng, goldenseal, black and blue cohosh, trilliums, and bloodroot are just some of the plants growing here. I have begun the process of involvement in uPs Plant Sanctuary program, and then will work to secure the land into a trust. My dream is to grow this woodland paradise into a living classroom.

To Anyone new to herbs whether aspiring to work with herbs personally or become an herbalist, what is one thing you’d like to offer them?

I would encourage a budding “herbie” to pick 1-3 plants and learn them well. Focus on the plants actions, environment, and uses. How do the 3 plants work together? Listen and let the plant speak to you their message. I encourage the “doctrine of signatures” approach to plants. What do they look like they might do? Is the plant strong or delicate? How does it smell? How do it’s roots, blossom, and seeds look like? This is a way to spend time with the plants through its cycles and seasons, and develop a deep relationship and understanding.

What is the inspiration behind the name and mission of MoonMaid Botanicals?

I have been drawn to the moon and its cycles my entire life. As a young girl I would sit and stare at the moon, draw it and wish upon it. I received a moon and star pendant when I was 15 and have worn it ever since. My name is Cynthia Diane, Roman and Greek names for Moon. The moon, it seems, is embedded into my DNA. I use the cycles of the moon to blend my oils… the name just popped out one day… and the rest, as they say, is history.

Cynthia What is a favorite recipe of yours?

Queen of Hungaries Facial Astringent:
-1 cup lavendar blossoms
-1 cup dried roses
or
-1 1/2 cup fresh rose petals
-1 cup chamomile flowers
Place all ingredients into a 1/2 gallon mason jar.
Cover with witch hazel.
Shake well.
Store in a cool dark place for at least 2 weeks. A month  would be even better. Shake often during the infusing period. Strain the liquid from the herb material. Return the liquid to the rinsed 1/2 gallon jar.
Add 1/4 to 1/2 part flower hydrosol.

Apply this to your face and neck with a cotton ball after gently cleansing your face and neck. Follow with an abundant coating of your favorite face cream! Know that your skin is saying “thank you” for all of this nourishment.

Enjoy!
06/4/13 | Category: Featured Stores and Herbalists, Poppy Swap, Recipes and Ramblings

One Response to Cynthia Johnston: The Dreamer of MoonMaid Botanicals

1. Cynthia Johnston has created a fabulous product line. I have been using her products for years and I especially like the Rose Cream. Great gal creating great things!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

In an effort to prevent automatic filling, you should perform a task displayed below.