Saturday, March 31st, 2012

The Florida Herb Conference was last weekend. The conference was organized by Emily Ruff of Orenda Herbals and was attended by 300 people who came from all over the Southeast. We were all simply overwhelmed with the level of excitement and dedication that is alive in the Florida Herb Community.

Poppy Swap sponsored the conference and Kiki flew down to represent and to offer some classes to the herbalists and students in attendance. On Friday, she taught a class for the clinical herbalists “Conducting a Client Intake: Based on the Ten Questions of Traditional Chinese Medicine.” And on Sunday, she presented the material from our First Poppy Swap E-Book: “For the Herbalist in Business: How to Successfully Sell Online.”

Sun Light Love!

The weekend was amazing. Eighty-five degrees everyday with a breeze off the lake, the plants lit up our hearts and the planets lit up the night sky. Emily Ruff’s graceful hostessing had the crowd feeling like a family and we all enjoyed the time together. Classes on herbal preparation and local botanical identification were popular and many local botanists and conservationists came forward to teach.

But it was the Keynote address from Rosemary Gladstar, on Saturday night, that stood out as a potentially a life changing event for many in attendance. The primary theme of the talk was sustainability. Rosemary asked us to think beyond being “conscious consumers.” How do we become conscious members of the ecosystem as a whole? How do we become PLANT SAVERS? Here are some of her key points and questions to the audience:

1. Rosemary encouraged us to “Take The Stress Off Of The Wild!” A few people can make a big racket in the wild and in many cases, especially with plants that are habitat specific or difficult to propogate, there is no such thing as ethical wildcrafting. We must know where our herbs are coming from and make the transition from wildcrafting to organic cultivating. Its time to grow our own medicine or support the American Farmer. When we create new plant sanctuaries, we create sacred land.

2. Rosemary asks the question, “What happens to a community when you remove all of the elders and healers?” If we view the forests as communities, we recognize that each plant has a long relationship with their soil and place. Each plant is also in communion with the other plants around it. We must recognize the seriousness of taking a plant our of the forest. We are not just harvesting medicine. We are, in fact, removing a member of a community from its home. This effects more than the plant we are harvesting, it effects the plants who are left behind as well. This becomes even more profound when we consider the harvest of plants that are considered “elders” like Reishi or American Ginseng.

American Ginseng. AT RISK

Rosemary was a delight to listen to and though her passion led many of us to think deeply about our herbal practices, her sweet nature also reminded us to celebrate our lives and our great fortune to be connected to the plants we love. She finished with a gorgeous slide show of the Species At Risk. Here is a full list of plants that are currently at risk. Please visit United Plant Savers’ to learn more about the Botanical Sanctuaries Network and to see a comprehensive list of plants at risk. We encourage you to join this organization and support them in any way you can.

“United Plant Savers’ mission is to protect native medicinal plants of the United States and Canada and their native habitat while ensuring an abundant renewable supply of medicinal plants for generations to come. Our work, the work of United Plant Savers, is to research, educate and protect in the interests of our plants and their habitats. We hope that you will join us in this worthwhile and important mission. UpS is a 501 (C)3 non-profit organization.”

Thanks Rosemary, we hope so too!

03/31/12 | Category: Featured Stores and Herbalists, Green Dirt, Poppy Swap, Poppy Swap News and Events

4 Responses to Plant Savers Unite!

1. christie says:

Wow! I never made that leap about the effect of wildcrafting. Thank you. I love this blog!

2. Good summary of Rosemary’s talk. All important points for us to keep in mind. Thanks.
    Caren
    Second Nature Skin

3. We are so blessed to have been called to do the work of the plants and nature. Rosemary is a wise visionary and we are wise to pay attention! It is a beautiful and powerful thing that the gatherings of plant people continue to grow. It warms my heart to view these photos from the Florida Herb Conference! May we all keep up the good work and remember to give thanks and walk softly.
    With Joy in my Heart,
    Jane Bothwell
    Dandelion Herbal Center

4. This truly speaks to the heart of why we do what we do in our practice of growing and saving medicinal herb seeds! Thanks Kiki, for bringing us a glimpse of this important gathering of like-minded folks. We are growing 5 of the plants on the at risk list, but except for Echinacea purpurea, these are difficult to get much seed from.
    I would like to applaud you and Kristie for the new e-book, with much gratitude! I printed a copy and devoured its content in one easy reading. I’ll be working to implement these marketing ideas this next year on Poppy Swap!
    Aline
    Green Journey Seeds

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

In an effort to prevent automatic filling, you should perform a task displayed below.